projectmania by quasi-luddites

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Bitbot Vest Rescued!

So a birthday vest was knit for Bitbot, for her first birthday, last week. She had happily worn it many times since its completion, but the very REASON it was designed and knit was being foiled by bad design/lazy knitter. It kept flipping up over her lower back, the body part it had been knit to cover! WHy? garter stitch/different yarn weights/needle sizes etc.

But why did it really not work? I didn't wet-block it.

Um, I considered reknitting the whole back flap part, but first blocked it, and it magically works! Yarn relaxed, pinned into place over a baby butt form, courtesy of two small rubber bowls and a towel. Yay!

Also, I learned why the mystery shetland yarn was so oily feeling- it was some kind of spinning grease, I think. I had my hands almost moisturized whenever I knit with it, and just thought- "oh, lots of lanolin". But then I dunked it in a bit of woolwash, and I'm embarrassed to say the water instantly turned brown! It didn't look dirty before, I swear. But after nice washing and pinning, it's ever so much better. A picture of Bitbot in it to follow...


Post a Comment

<< Home